1. What type of personal information do We collect?
We may collect the following personal information supplied by you:
1. Your name and contact details (e.g., postal address, telephone number, mobile number, email address, etc.);
2. Policyholder information (e.g., policy number, certificate number, billing and payment history, etc.);
3. Information in relation to the services that you may have with us;
4. Information about any claims you make under the insurance policy you have with Us (e.g., claim number, date of loss and reason, call history, loss details, Police reference number and supporting documentation, etc.)
5. Information on the device covered under the insurance policy you have with Us (e.g., make, model, serial number, IMEI, etc.);
6. Feedback on the services We provide to you (including through customer experience surveys); and
7. Records of any correspondence or details of any conversation between you and Us.
You can choose whether or not to provide the above information. However, please note that, in general, most of the requested information is necessary in order for Us to provide Our services to you and the lack of such information will prevent Us from doing so.
2. How do We use your personal information.
We will use the information supplied by you for policy and services administration, customer services, claims management and fraud prevention. We also use the information supplied by you (where necessary) to pursue our legitimate purposes and needs of Our business including statistical analysis, monitoring and improving our offerings and customer experience and service, risk evaluation and management and compliance with our legal obligations under the applicable law. We will also use your personal information to contact you (if necessary) and inform you of Our new services and features (subject to your express consent).
3. Where do We get your personal information
We may collect personal information directly from when you take out a service with Us, contact Us and when you use you use Our products and services.
We may also collect and use personal information about you from third parties, for example, We will receive your name, contact information, customer number and policy information from your mobile carrier O2 (if you have procured an insurance product underwritten by Us) to enable Us to administer and perform your policy or any other services you have with Us.
4. Who do We share your personal information with
In connection with the above purposes, We may share your personal information with other group companies within the Telefónica Group, other insurance companies (e.e, reinsurers), Our branches . and Our partner companies, representatives and agencies and their sub-contractors who help Us run and administer, Our services or who provides services to Us. We may also share your personal information with public authorities and fraud and law enforcement agencies, such as the Financial Conduct Authority, the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Information Commissioner’s Officer in order for Us to comply with Our legal and regulatory obligations.
We may use information supplied by You in searches with credit reference agencies which may result in the agencies recording details of the search and whether or not the application for the specific product proceeds. We may also receive information about you from such credit reference agencies and may use it to assess Your Claim. This information may be linked with other information which is provided to Us and/or the credit reference agencies, about you and those with whom you are linked financially. The information we hold about you may be made available to other organisations to make decisions about the provision and administration of credit, insurance and other financial services to you and your financial associates.
5. How long do we keep your personal information for?
We will keep the information about you which We hold for such period of time as required and permitted by law, insofar as it is necessary for these purposes. Where you disclose sensitive personal data to Us, including any medical or criminal record information, We will also use this information for the above purposes. If you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence or details of any conversation We may have with You. Calls may be recorded.
If you are providing Us with personal or sensitive data about third parties other than you, , please ensure that those third parties consent to the supply of this information to Us for processing this data, including sensitive personal data, for the above purposes.
In most cases, we will keep your information for between two and ten years after our relationship with you ends but it will vary depending on what data we hold, why we hold it and what we’re obliged to do by the regulator or the law. The time period we retain your personal information for will differ depending on the nature of the personal information and what we do with it.
6. International transfers
We may transfer your personal data to other countries outside the European Economic Area. Where We do so, We will ensure that similar standards of protection is afforded to it. This can be done in a number of different ways, for example
- only transferring Your personal data to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission;
- using 1) the standard contractual clauses for the transfer of personal data to third countries outside the European Economic Area approved by the European Commission, as well as the International Data Transfer Addendum to the EU Commission Standard Contractual Clauses issued by the Information Commissioner´s Office of the United Kingdom, or 2) the International Data Transfer Agreement (IDTA) adopted by the Information Commissioner´s Office of the United Kingdom, with third-country recipients giving personal data the same protection it has in Europe;You may request for information about any international transfers of personal data by Us outside the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area by contacting Us using the details below.
With respect to the aforementioned purposes, your personal information may be transferred outside the United Kingdom and the European Economic Area to countries that do not have equivalent data protection laws (for example, if we share your data with Apple Distribution International – or ADI – that data will be processed and managed by Apple, Inc. which is located in the United States). To ensure an adequate level of security and protection, these transfers will be secured by standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission, or by the International Data Transfer Agreement (IDTA) adopted by the Information Commissioner´s Office of the United Kingdom in line with applicable law. The Policyholder may request information about these international transfers.
7. Your rights
You have a number of legal rights in relation to the information We hold about You including a right of notice, access, data-portability, rectification, restriction of processing, erasure, and an objection right. You may exercise these rights at any time by submitting your request in writing to the Data Protection Officer, O2 customer support, Brightstar Insurance Services, BV, Unit 2, Crewe Logistics Park, Jack Mills Way, Shavington, CW2 5XF, or by sending an email to [email protected]. Please note that the rights are not absolute and are subject to the limitations of local applicable law, where the processing of your personal information by USsin necessary (such as compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims) or where We have compelling legitimate interests which overrides your rights.
For certain uses of your personal information, we will ask for your consent. Where we do this, you have the right to withdraw your consent to further use of your personal information. Please note in some cases we may not be able to process your application or claim if you withdraw your consent.
8. Contact and complaints
We may contact you by post, mobile, phone, text or email to let you know about important changes to the services which We are providing, to obtain Your views on Our services and relevant offers and marketing information. You can change how We get in touch with you and what We may contact you about at any time you like using the following details: [email protected]; or phone on: +44 (0) 344 809 0202 (free of charge from an O2 phone or charged at the national rate from a landline).
You may address a complaint or any questions relating to the processing of your personal information by Us at the above-mentioned contact details. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office on 0303 123 1113 or https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ if you think any of your rights have been infringed by Us.
Updated July 2023.